It is most important to know about the specifications of equipment that you are using when playing billiards. Many factors affect the quality of the game including pool balls, quality of table cloth and cues, etc.
Some people generally give minor importance to feel, but it has a huge impact on the quality of the game. So, when you are renovating your old table cloth or felt, you need to know certain specifications.
But which felt is most suitable? This always makes us dizzy as we are not aware of the different types of felt and their feels. That is why I am writing this article to guide you in choosing the best felt for your pool table.
Table of Contents
Top Pool Table Felts:
Following are the three best pool table felts selected for 2019.
1. Proform High-Speed Cloth:
Proform high-speed cloth is characterized by 30% of Nylon and 70% of worsted wool. It comes in a variety of colors and is very durable. It is available in low price and very resistant to burn caused by ball friction.
2. Championship Saturn II Cloth:
It is one of the best types of woolen table cloth. DuPont Teflon coating is done on this cloth that makes it stain resistant and burns resistant. The price of the cloth is quite economical and comes in a variety of colors except for blue color.
3. Billiard Depot Pool Table Felt:
Billiard depot pool table felt is a mixture of 35% of Nylon and 65% of wool. The weight of this table pool felt is 3.5 pounds that come in the size of 8 feet. The texture of table cloth is worsted and comes in burgundy color.
Why I selected Proform High-Speed Cloth:
In my opinion, Proform High-Speed Cloth is the best pool table felt for professional players. It has the following characteristics:
- Proform High-Speed Cloth weighs about 23 oz. which is like the ideal weight for any felt.
- It is an excellent choice of feeling as it is a mixture of 70% wool and 30% Nylon.
- One of the best qualities of this type of feeling is this that it offers wrinkles resistance which can appear with extensive usage.
- Also, Proform felt is excellent as it always has to burn resistance. This only adds to the many advantages as pool balls create a lot of heat when they bump into each other.
- This felt can be used on home pool tables and also on those tables where the gameplay is constant.
- Proform cloth has a very smooth and tightly woven surface. Such surfaces are best as they offer speed to the players.
- It offers long durability which means that if you take good care of it, it will last long with your table.
- It is quite cheaper than other felts available in the market.
Features to Look For in a Felt:
When you are looking for a feeling, you must remember that felts come in various types which vary from thickness to thread specification; also, in color range and price worth as well. Following are a few factors which you must keep in mind when you are about to do the purchasing.
Types of felt:
There are usually two types of felts and they are as under.
Woolen Cloth: Woolen cloth is commonly used in public tables and ball roll slowly on those tables because of friction which is produced between the ball and the cloth.
Worsted Wool Cloth: It is used on the professional grade pool table and sometimes referred to as speed cloth. It is an expensive buy, and pool balls travel faster on this type of cloth. It offers so much smoothness and consistency in the gameplay.
Different pool felt colors are available in the market and user can buy on its personal preference. In the modern age, any color from red, maroon, blue, khaki, black, orange, grey can be used in the table cloth. But black and grey should be avoided as they clash with the 8-ball and the cue ball.
The Sensitivity of Pool Table:
Pool table felt is very sensitive to its environment as its color fades away in the sun, absorb moisture from air and ball burn happens due to friction. There are some tips to prolong the life of pool table felt such as:
- Use a microfiber cloth to clean the pool balls. So, the chalk residue can be avoided from all over the table.
- Buy a pool brush with soft bristles to remove extra chalk from the table cloth.
- Always cover the table after use as it prevents it from moisture and sharp light conditions.
Durability of the cloth depends on the wool present in it. Although no one can predict exactly how long felt can be used as it depends on its installation and the number of games played on the table, but if you take good care, then it will last long with you.
A very important factor that you must not forget is the price. The market is flowing with every kind of felts, and they vary in price so beware. Not everything which appears expensive is good for you.
Also, keep in mind your budget. From purchasing to installing it on your pool table; it means expense, and you will not want to cross your limit.
Some professional tips should keep in mind to install a new felt like the felt should be cut in regular size and remove the rails and place the felt tight without leaving any wrinkle or bump on the table. The surface should be silky and smooth.
There is a variety of pool table felts available in the market that comes in different colors, textures and prices ranges. It depends on the user that which he is going to pick for installation.
A good felt provides you greater control on the cue ball.
The user should choose the felt according to the environment in which he is going to play the game.
I am sure you must have learned quite a lot about that feel by now. If you apply these pointers in your felt purchasing, then I am sure you will get the benefit and nothing else.